Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Commitment

Today's the day.
Proof, in case you didn't believe me.
Look how happy and cold I look!

In high school, I loved running. I was slow, but loved it. I even ran cross country for a season! ...Total disaster, but I liked the pasta parties.

Anyways, during those awesome four years in adolescence (bold=sarcasm), I hardly ever missed a run and my body and sanity thanked me for it.


And then I came to college.

New friends, crazy schedule, and a ginormous meal plan.
                                                     ^  I thought that was a made up word.
                                                                                        

Fitness was among the first to be cut out. Don't get me wrong, over the past few years I've done some exercise, a zumba class here and there, a one day hiking trip, and that chacha dance performance that I spent way too much time preparing for.
Then there was the random month in January that I was super motivated and worked out hard core for about a month, then gave up.

This time WILL be different for a lot of reasons:

  • I'm writing about it. This can count as a legal contract right?
  • I'm gong into summer where time is much more plentiful. I hope 
  • I'm ready and pumped! Remind me that I said this tomorrow when I'm complaining.
  • I'm making a commitment to run a half marathon!
Sunday, October 7 is the big day!

So, here's the thing.

About a week ago I tried to pick up running again. I had my iphone and earbuds, my tie dye sports bra, my laces were tied, and my hair was pulled back from my face: all things that announce to the world I am a runner, cars and pedestrians get out of my way. 
I started this wonderful app on my phone called MapMyRun, which all serious runners should have. It tells you exactly how far you've run, uses a map to show your route, and has a lot of other fancy features I am just not qualified to have access to.
My pump up music, The Hairspray Soundtrack, was blaring in my ears and I took off ready to go. Not too fast, I didn't want to burn out too soon.
I was feeling good. The breeze was in my face, blood was pumping, and I was on top of the world.

Then it happened. My stomach started cramping, my legs filled with lead, and someone kept putting a sword down my throat and pulling it back out again. Ok, I thought, I'll just take a quick break and start running in a second. So I stopped and look down at my phone.

I had traveled . 36 of a mile. 
What!?

In high school I ran several miles at a time, 2 miles was a really bad day. AND NOW?
So this is me saying, I have a long way to go.

And now I think I'm gonna go put my shoes on and take on the elements....



No comments:

Post a Comment