Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bring on the Weirdos

Today on my run (worked back up to two miles!) I passed the weirdest people.
  • I passed a pregnant woman
  • I passed someone with a dog
  • I passed someone over the age of thirty
  • I passed a little girl that was wearing a Santa hat 
It's funny because they aren't weird in every day world, (except for the toddler running around with a Santa hat in May) but when you go day in and day out essentially only interacting with people between the ages of 18-22, these things start to look foreign to you.
Not only that, but depending on your college's personality you see the exact same species of 18-24 year olds.
For example:
Everything is in place.
Perfect is the key word here.
Who on earth sent me here?
Replace the messenger bag
with a North Face backpack and
then we've got 75% of our student body
                                                             
Sure you see a little bit of deviation, but overall, this is a pretty good representation of people on this campus.

 So can anyone blame me if, whenever I have free time (ha.), I escape this haven and find a random coffee shop, just so that I can see people like this:
These are what some call, hipsters.

It's like going to the zoo! These people not only look different, but observing their every movement is like watching a flamingo exhibit. What are they going to do next? How do they carry anything without their Longchamp Bag?  How do live in landlocked Nashville without their boat shoes?

My friends make fun of me because I have an unhealthy obsession with hipsters.
Maybe it's because I secretly want to be one (probably can't pull off the attitude).
Maybe it's because they have better music.
Maybe because they're something different?


Clearly from the pastel pink and clean lines of this blog, I am not in any way hipster.
I think it's because it's crazy that we are in college where we are supposed to open our eyes to new things and explore this insanely vast and diverse world and I can pigeon hole myself to think that there is only one right way to live.
The only way to accessorize an outfit is definitely not only pearls.

The school year ending is bittersweet, but one reason I'm excited is because now my life is much more open to meeting new people of all kinds, not just my school's species.

I want to be able to meet people who are different than me and be able to acknowledge that. I want to take the chance to ask questions and learn all that I can from everyone who crosses my path. The best part is is that I can learn from everyone I meet and emulate what I like (imitation is the highest form of flattery) and cut out what I don't like.


So bring on the weirdos, freaks, preps, and everything in between. I want to know and learn about them all.  Who am I to judge? Everyone calls me a weirdo anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment