Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Who is God's Mama?



I was working at the after school program and most of the kids were intently working on a homework and coloring sheets. 
All of a sudden, I hear my name. With these kids, I hear my name too much; and if I don't reply, no worries, they'll say it five more times just to MAKE SURE that I didn't miss them. Sometimes I want to ask the kids to call me another name, like Pam or Bob, just to give my name a break.
I approach the table, and first took the marker away from the six year old who had began writing his name across the table is red ink. 


He started to pout. I didn't really care, he'd get over it in a few minutes anyways.

"Ms. Sarah, who is God's mama?" One of the boys asked. 
My attention whipped to him, this would clearly be a little bit harder to handle than the marker on the tabletop.


"Yeah, and if someone is God's mama then who is God's mama's mama?" One of the other boys asked, jumping out of his seat and into my face, making sure that I saw him.


My first reaction to all of this was amusement. Mostly because I remember at about eight years old having my mind BLOWN with the the same questions. It didn't make sense. Everything alive comes into being because there are two parents that have a baby: people, dogs, cats, and even mosquitos (that is until you hit sophomore biology, and then asexual species just messes with everything you thought you knew about the world). 
So how on EARTH can the father of our world not have parents?


Then I thought about it. To an adult, it's a humorous question, the thought of a mother God taking care of our God, but for our human frame of reference, it's a completely rational question.
Kids are smart.


Religion is such an interesting topic. I don't know if it's where I am in life or if it's society as a whole, but in my life, it is extremely taboo. 


Don't talk about it with kids. 
Don't talk about it in school. 
Don't talk about it in work. 
Don't talk about it with your friends.
Don't step on anyone's toes: religion and politics are things that should NOT be discussed.


Why? 
This child had an honest question and it sparked enough in me to write this entire post.
It's all about how it is discussed.

One day, I hope to be as fearless as that child was to ask those questions and try to find the answers to my own.








No comments:

Post a Comment