Sunday, May 6, 2012

Work Begins

Yesterday was my first day at Calypso.

Any restaurant that has this as a menu topper is my kind of jam.
Look at those dancing beans!
Don't you just want to spend every day there?
Wow. This is going to be quite the summer. 

I walked into this restaurant at 11AM to start my shift. Immediately, the manager had me shadow a girl as she started stocking the line, the assembly line of food behind the counter.
She was a sixteen year old girl who was just gushing about how she had driven on the highway for the first time.
We chatted about driving and high school and her summer. It made me realize how long it had been since I had interacted with anyone from high school.

As the first few minutes of my shift progressed, the rest of the staff started to make their way into the restaurant.  I immediately fell in love with the people that I am working with. Almost all of them are in the music business (maybe they can give me a little bit better taste in music) and make me look like the driest person on the planet in comparison. 

It did take them about an hour to realize that I wasn't sixteen (an awesome reminder that I in no way look almost twenty years old).  In fact, they did not believe that I had finished my second year of college. 

It's pretty amazing how sore a person can get from only standing for five hours. Either I'm out of shape or I'm getting old. I'm not too sure which one is worse.
Either way, my legs hurt.


Anyways, I now wear a bandana to work and will probably eat black beans every day for the rest of the summer.  

One of Calypso's other top selling points is their chicken.
Thus, I now know the anatomy of a chicken like it's the back of my hand.
Did you know the part with the legs is the dark meat, but the half with the wings is white meat?
Did you know that there are people out there who can cut a chicken up in about thirty seconds flat? 
Guess who their trying to make their next professional rotisserie cutter?
Me.
Good thing I'm not chicken. (I couldn't resist)


I may wind up vegetarian from working this job.










No comments:

Post a Comment