Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Party

My body hurts. A lot.
I'm not sure if it's because this is the first time I've actually used my body (other than to walk, type, talk, and breathe) in months and I'm out of shape, or I'm just getting old. I'm not sure which one is worse: one is completely my fault and takes work to fix and the other I have no control over, but I can use as an excuse.

Anyways, I'm working to run every day, which I've been impressed with my ability to keep up with. Although every day I want to cry at how out of shape I've let my body become. It's a work in progress. One sweaty morning at a time.
(Ain't that just appetizing?)

This week I also volunteered to help set up this event for the graduating seniors called The Party (creative right? Top twenty institution with the brightest minds in the nation, and that's all they can come up with).

Basically it's a chance for the graduating seniors to come with their families, listen to a not so fantastic band play oldies music, and have a few drinks. By the end of the night, the dance floor was populated with just enough embarrassingly intoxicated parents that a lot of our campus experiences start to make sense.

Thirteen undergraduates and I have been working for three days in the heat alongside the real tech guys (who actually do real labor) to prepare this event. Our task essentially is to set up hundreds of tables and chairs and assemble dozens upon dozens of centerpieces.
At first I was dreading the experience, it sounded monotonous and hot.
I could not be happier that I did it. It turned out to be three of the most peaceful, fun days I have had in a long time. We spent all day outside, doing tasks that didn't require much thought, but just allowed me to be outside, talk to some new people, and enjoy the fresh air.

It turned out beautiful, there is something truly to be said for seeing hard work come together to make a tangible product.

This is the final product.
Unfortunately it was dark before I thought to take a picture.
Every one of those lights passed through our hands.





One of the aspects of our job was at the end of the night we had to strap on blue plastic gloves and go through all of the glasses and separate through the paper and plastics for recycling. 
Part of the job was we had to pick out all of the used straws, of course they are not recyclable. This is also the reasoning for the necessity for the plastic gloves.

The party ended and our team of fourteen jumped into action. 
About seven tables into our project a disheveled girl, heels in one hand and mascara streaking down her cheeks, approached me. 
She explained, while exhaling red wine aroma into my face, that she had lost her wallet and that she was helpless without it. (Somehow this wallet was connected to her ability to graduate and get married?) 
I calmly offered to assist her in her search for her lost possessions. We walked together to look for her wallet. By the time we had reached the end of the lawn, I knew her boyfriend's name was Marcus and he was a good driver and that he drove a blue car. She doesn't like the blue car.

The wallet was under the first table I looked under.

She squealed. I was happy she was so happy.
All of a sudden I was in her arms, never met this girl, but she was hugging me. Just don't touch this poor girl with my spit covered blue gloves.
She stepped back and asked for my name. Did I have a Facebook? 
She pulled out her iphone and found me right away, I was impressed with her motor skills. 
I also have a new Facebook friend. 

She squealed again. Other recyclers started to look. This was getting awkward. 
She went in for another hug. 
Then she grabbed my hands. Guess she doesn't care about my blue spitty gloves.

"How many years do you have left?" She asked loudly. Most of the lawn was looking in my direction now.
Two.

"You are going to have a FANTASTIC two years! And I am NOT just saying that because I am drunk (not at all), but because I feel it in my BONES." She said, giving my head a pat. A little weird, but I took it.

Summary: Working for The Party (should that be copyrighted? Someone may take it) was a fantastic experience full of good people, food, and days of being outside. 
The best part? I received a visit from the red wine psychic and discovered that I have good things coming my way.

Overall, I think I can chalk it up to a productive week.



1 comment: